Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Chemo Week 9 & Translational Oncology Symposium

Felicitas and Colleen
It's been a couple of weeks since the last update. We were planning on combining weeks 9 and 10 into one journal entry, but unfortunately Felicitas' blood counts were too low to receive chemo on April 22. This would have been her 10th round. Of course she was disappointed because missing a round of chemo pushes all of her treatment back a week. On a positive note, the following week was Graciela and Maya's spring break, and since she missed chemo, Felicitas wasn't feeling sick and had plenty of energy to do fun activities with the family that week. The previous week, on April 15th, she had her 9th session of chemotherapy. Her friends Jenn Porch and Colleen Smith were there to keep her company. 

Felicitas and Jenn
On April 21st, UC San Diego Moores Cancer Center hosted the 7th annual Translational Oncology Symposium. This effort promotes relationships between physician-scientists with pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies. The meeting is a venue to help foster and strengthen the ties between scientists in the laboratory and experts at companies to develop new, potentially valuable drugs. Dr. Parker asked Felicitas to participate in the symposium. They needed a patient currently enrolled in the I-Spy 2 Trial to answer questions about their experience. There are 2 videos from the symposium. The first is about 3 minutes long and gives a short overview of the event. The second, Junior recorded and shows Felicitas' entire part in the symposium.


As you can see, she did such an amazing job! Only Felicitas could get a room full of scientists and doctors laughing when talking about her stage 3 cancer! Dr. Parker told her that she had many people approach her after the symposium and say how beneficial it was to have a patient speak. It allowed people to hear things from Felicitas' perspective. It's not often that the scientists are able to put a face to their drugs or to actually interact with the patients that are using their drugs. Dr. Parker thought having Felicitas speak was very powerful and she even left her a message that evening saying what a star Felicitas was!

4 comments:

  1. SO incredibly proud of my comadre. This was amazing to watch! Good job comis! You are such an inspiration to all. I love you!!! XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. As good as the camera man did capturing it, it was definitely more amazing to sit in the audience and witness the delivery in person. Felicitas did a great job, she had everyone dialed in and was effective. Following the Symposium, several individuals approached Felicitas to tell her how inspiring she was. Felicitas is good at giving hope to others that are also fighting Cancer. But this time she was able to reach individuals in the Industry, which will hopefully help make an impact on their work for a cure. Great job, Mama! I'm so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed speaking at the symposium. I am so used to a hectic life........balancing work and family. Now that I am not working, it was nice to get dressed in something other than my usual casual stuff. Like Samira said, scientists aren't used to dealing with patients, so this was a good learning experience for them too.

    I feel really fortunate to have so many close friends and family who have been just as much a part of this journey as me. I know that you feel pain and sadness when I do and that you are also filled with joy when I am. I can't say enough about junior. He is working as mommy and daddy around the clock, making sure that our household functions as normally as possible. He has literally been with me every step of the way, cheering for me when I need it and reassuring me when I have doubts. Love you, jun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know I have already said it, but am so impressed with your speech and how charming you were. I know you dont like to give yourself the credit you deserve, but you are doing amazing. So many people want to quit this treatment, because it is so hard, and you are blowing through it, like u have a little cold that seems to linger. You have so much more on your plate than probably most people there too, and (I walked around), you are always the one having the best time, and you do end up getting the best view every time?
    I believe a new career is coming forward, I just want to go one guest speaking tour (I will even ride in a bus)!

    ReplyDelete